Thursday, December 21, 2006

My Backpackers Diary.... (Part I)

(This was posted on 26th December 2005)

Going on a journey is like having sex; spontaneity brings out the best. And, the less elaborate the plan, the better it is. Once into the mood, it makes you feel restless till its over. True, there are moments of awkwardness, but these moments enhance the whole experience – like, so to say, the black spots enhancing the beauty of the moon. It’s especially so when one charters into an unknown territory. The adventure and accompanying experience stays memorable for a long-time to come.

This Christmas eve the first thing I decided on the morning was to go on a trip to PuttaParthi in Andhra Pradesh, the abode of SAI BABA. Now, why I decided on this, I do not know; especially when it’s so un-cool to go to religious places when there are lots of happening places around. But, as I told you earlier, once decided, it’s tough to come out of the mood. So, lots of sniggers, curious looks and snide remarks later, I decided to embark on the journey, solo.

Knowing not how to go, the first thing I did was to reach the central bus-stand called Majestic. The Saturday morning Bangalore traffic was uncharacteristically fast, fortunately. After the inquiry and ticket reservation was done, the next task was to go for a nice heavy breakfast, which I did knowing fully well that the bus would stop only at a place where the best combo of high price and bad food would be available. In no time afterwards, I proceeded in a bus to PuttaParthi, with thirty odd passengers for company, almost all of them busy in adjusting their luggage.

Now, luggage adjustment has a curious characteristic; the strategically found places are designed to help you reach your bag and simultaneously cause inconveniences to your co-passengers (the latter more than the former, I suspect), who return the complements by merrily walking all over your bags and forgetting to apologize. The bus staff do ask to keep only the essential bags near the seats and rest in the boot, but well, Jesus wont proclaim you a sinner for considering all your luggage as essential and worthy of being needed during the journey.

Next:
My Backpacker's Diary... (Part II)
My Backpacker's Diary... (Part III)

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home